At Newman Sixth we have a strong close-knit community that enjoy spending time together and supporting each other beyond the classroom. We offer a diverse range of clubs, societies and trips, most of which are led by our current students and made possible by our fantastic Chamber. These enrichment activities are in addition to our events on the calendar such as the ‘Culture Party’, ‘Christmas Bazaar’, ‘Hello Yellow’ day to raise awareness of positive Mental Health and our termly ‘Socials’.
Below are some examples of our Enrichment programmes:
Clubs and Societies
- Weekly sports including Netball, Badminton, Football and Basketball. (Our Newman Sixth Alumnae include students who have represented England in Golf and Netball whilst studying with us.)
- Coding and Programming
- Chess Club
- Debate Club
- Duke of Edinburgh Gold
Volunteering and Ambassador Opportunities
- Mental Health Ambassadors
- Reading Mentor Programme
- ‘Students as learning support assistants’ Programme
- Web Team
- Newman News Media Team
- CAFOD Ambassadors
- Health and Care Programme in liaison with NHS
Trips and Excursions
- Borneo 2023: Newman Sixth students spent a month in Borneo building toilet blocks for a new primary school, coaching sport to children and locals, planting trees and trekking through jungles; what an incredible experience! The next expedition leaves in July 2025.
- Year 12 Team Building Day: Students enjoy a day of climbing, archery tag and team building activities following the end of year exams in the summer.
- Year 12 Thorpe Park
- Ice-Skating at Christmas
- Year 13 Leavers’ Boat Party